Categories
India

Amitabh Bachchan admitted to Nanavati Hospital, Mumbai |Tests Covid Positive |

Mumbai Latest News: Amitabh Bachchan tests Covid positive, hospitalised. He 77-year-old actor confirmed the news on Twitter, adding that his family and staff are also being tested.

Amitabh Bachchan
T 3590 -I have tested CoviD positive .. shifted to Hospital .. hospital informing authorities .. family and staff undergone tests , results awaited .. All that have been in close proximity to me in the last 10 days are requested to please get themselves tested !
Categories
India

Goa may make HIV tests mandatory before marriage registration

Goa Health Minister Vishwajit Rane on Tuesday said that the coastal state’s government was mulling making HIV tests mandatory before the registration of marriages.

“We are considering making an HIV test compulsory for the prospective couples before registration of marriage in Goa. It is not mandatory right now,” Rane told IANS.

Rane, who is also a Minister for Law, added that the proposal to make HIV testing compulsory before marriage was being vetted by the Law Department.

“If it is cleared by the Department soon, then we will table the law in the monsoon session of the state Legislative Assembly,” Rane said.

The monsoon session will begin on July 15.

In 2006, a similar proposal was mooted by then Health Minister Dayanand Narvekar, with the Goa cabinet approving the legislation making HIV testing mandatory before marriage.

But the initiative did not reach fruition.

(IANS)

Categories
World

Christchurch gunman to undergo mental health tests

The man accused of killing 50 people in last month’s attacks on two mosques in New Zealand’s Christchurch city has been ordered to undergo mental health tests.

Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, would be seen by experts to determine whether he was fit to stand trial or insane, said High Court judge Cameron Mander, the BBC reported on Friday.

Tarrant appeared in the courtroom – packed with relatives of some of his victims – via video link from prison.

He faces 50 murder charges and 39 attempted murder charges. He was not required to enter a plea.

It is the deadliest mass shooting attack New Zealand has ever seen.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called it one of New Zealand’s “darkest days”.

She has vowed to ban all types of semi-automatic weapons and assault rifles.

On Friday morning, Judge Mader ordered that two assessments would be carried out to determine the state of the suspect’s mental health.

The suspect listened intently during the short court hearing. He made no comments.

The suspect was able to see the judge and lawyers and hear the proceedings – but the camera was turned away from the public gallery.

The judge remanded him in custody, and his next court appearance is now due on June 14.

He was arrested on March 15 for his involvement in the shootings at the Al Noor mosque and the Linwood Islamic Centre, both located in Christchurch.

He had first driven to the Al Noor mosque, parked nearby and began firing into the mosque as he walked in through the front entrance.

He fired on men, women and children inside for about five minutes. He live-streamed the attack from a head-mounted camera and identified himself in the footage.

The suspect is then said to have driven about 5km (three miles) to the Linwood mosque where the second shooting occurred.

The gunman, armed with semi-automatic rifles including an AR-15, is believed to have modified his weapons with high-capacity magazines – the part of the gun which stores ammunition – so they could hold more bullets.

He is currently being kept in isolation at the Auckland Prison in Paremoremo, considered New Zealand’s toughest.

IANS