The program has impacted about 100,000 beneficiaries in 5 years
Shubh Aarambh, the National Community Program of Mondelez India Foods Private Limited has completed five years. The program has a footprint in eight states, touching lives of about 100,000 beneficiaries including children, youth, mothers and teachers in and around the company’s manufacturing and cocoa operations in the states of Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. The program focuses on health and nutrition education, encouraging sports and play and the environment.
Deepak Iyer, President, Mondelez India, said “Shubh Aarambh symbolizes one of our core values of ‘Do What’s Right’. It’s a program that empowers our communities to become change agents in driving their social, physical and emotional wellbeing. It is easily one of the programs, that I’m very proud of.”
Commenting on this milestone, Ophira Bhatia, Director, Corporate & Government Affairs, Mondelez India, said “Good values and good business go hand in hand. Shubh Aarambh has touched lives of about 100,000 beneficiaries in five years and has symbolized new beginnings for the communities across eight states. More than the numbers it’s the real difference we have made in the lives of communities by addressing issues like nutrition, activity and sports, gender diversity, encouraging education, health and sanitation, supporting the environment, providing clean drinking water and creating safe play spaces and so much more. We have tremendous support from our NGO partners, local government and communities and would like to thank them for their efforts.”
The program has significantly improved the knowledge base, attitudes and behavior among children, with mothers on nutrition, physical activity and general health, coupled with substantial engagement with local officials. In the last five years the program has…
- Witnessed about 64% increase of basic knowledge of good nutrition and a healthy life in children
- 20% increase in children reporting they are physically active and play for 1 hour each day
- 50% increase in consumption of vegetables and fruits
- 25% increase in awareness amongst mothers on healthy and nutritious foods
- 141 community kitchen gardens have been created and developed 5 parks
- 7000 forestry trees planted
- Access to clean drinking water (state what investment we have made – five reverse osmosis plants RO plants, pipes, rejuvenating tanks etc)
- Impartment of physical education through sports sessions
- Enrolment of over 800 in the youth development program with successful job placement, and guidance for higher education and entrepreneurship.
As part of creating a sustainable future, Shubh Aarambh was uniquely designed in partnership between the company and the partner NGOs – Save the Children, Magic Bus and AFPRO. Keeping the needs of the children at the centre of the program, Mondelez India works with parents and teachers to provide health and nutrition support at an early age, education, physical and social development through sports-for-development, and skills and livelihood program to make young people more employable. The program also focuses on water and greening as one of the key initiatives.